Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What a day!

Today was a great day! I took 5 teachers from our building to visit Waukee Middle School. I saw some great teaching and learning. The thing that impressed me the most about the teachers, administrators, and instructional coaches at WMS was their focus on data. We spent time in numerous classrooms, observing the teachers. Our purpose in the visit was to learn about the workshop model of classroom instruction. Like the title of this post.. it was a great day!

During our visit, I tweeted this post.. http://goo.gl/A65Su It was prompted by some reflection. I got to spend today learning and sitting in classrooms. One would think that I would spend time in classrooms, and I do, but not a full day, not being distracted with phone calls or student discipline. It hit me, the learnings I've had during my masters classes about quality instruction would make me a much better teacher than I was. Spending time in others classrooms is such a powerful learning tool! In our school have started to do that with team walkthroughs, but haven't done it enough. It's time to refocus! To spend more time and effort on instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment